Monday, February 18, 2013

Nemo Weekend: A Bit Random


Winter Storm Nemo put a bit of a wrinkle in this weekend’s plans, but I was actually rather happy to take it easy, considering last weekend was insanely busy. The disgusting weather started on Friday morning (sleet-y rain) and then turned into snow and continued until Saturday. My roommate had a visitor in for the weekend, and she made it, even though her bus was cancelled, before the trains shut down.

We went out to dinner on Friday night just a short walk from the apartment to Maison Harlem. We’d been there once before, for brunch, but this was our first trip for dinner. Delicious. We had appetizers of marinated olives and fried calamari. For my main course, I had the seafood pasta (clams, mussels and shrimp with a garlicky, herby, slightly creamy sauce) and I would absolutely get it again. It was well-balanced and perfectly portioned. For dessert, I got the lemon tart and was a little less impressed. The filling was really good, and though the crust had good flavor, it was super hard (to the point where I was hacking at it to get a bite). Like most of Manhattan, we spent the rest of the night in, watching movies and enjoying some of our alcohol supply.

On Saturday, the three of us ventured out to get bagels (72nd St Bagel again) and then to wander around Central Park.





I feel like I saw more kids out and about that morning than I’ve ever seen in a single outing before. Sleds were everywhere. Then I had to hustle back to the apartment for a video chat with some college friends, while the other two went in search of cupcakes and musical tickets.

We opted for Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella, still in previews, based a little bit on one of the actresses’ appearances at our dueling pianos celebration last weekend. Before dinner we went to Carnegie Deli, home of humungous sandwiches, especially the famous pastrami. Pictures of celebrities (and what appeared to be nobodies that signed their pictures anyway) covered the walls. We got to eat next to Britney Spears.


I really enjoyed Cinderella, even though the story developed differently than I expected. (Spoiler alert: Cinderella doesn’t leave her shoe at the ball!) I was familiar with some of the music, having repeatedly watched and thoroughly enjoyed the Brandy/Whitney Houston version as a child. I have to say, those songs were my favorite. The costume changes were almost like real-life magic, and the actress playing the Fairy Godmother did an amazing job.

The forest - loved the set

"Glass slippers are so back"

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun time. Enjoyed the picture of the big liverwurst sandwich that you sent to me - was surprised that you didn't have it posted on here too.
    Lucky you to sit by a celebrity!!

    Glad Nemo didn't inconvenience your friend's trip to badly or your weekend.
    Country Lady

    ReplyDelete